Thursday, November 18, 2010

Assignments for Thursday, 11/18/2010

Good morning, freshmen and good afternoon, sophomores!  I hope everything is going well with the substitute.  I haven’t received very many emails asking for help, so I’ll assume you are all okay.  Yesterday, I was able to show off July, Jennifer, Bella, and Joseph’s blogs in my committee training.  (High-fives to you guys!) 

Last night, I sat down to look over the gradebook.  I went over everything, but quite a few of you still have very low grades due to missing assignments.  This is frustrating, since I know you are all learning--you are just not taking the time to submit proof of you learning.    Please take some time today to look over your account in My Gradebook.  Ms. Raquel created this form to help you submit missing work.  Remember that we will not go dig through your backpack/blog to find your work.  It is your responsibility to submit it using a form; if you are submitting late work, you need to tell us to go back and grade it.   

Freshmen, if you are struggling to understand “Cranes,” please ask the substitute to read you the summary located on the front page of the story in the teacher’s manual.  Today, you will complete a theme graphic organizer using a template.  This is just like the graphic organizer you used to  find the theme of “The Sniper.”  You may work independently or with a partner.  For tonight’s homework, you will begin to write a brief essay comparing the themes of the two essays.  This assignment is actually an assessment to help you prove that you understand theme, so it is very important that you put your full effort into it.  You may write this paper independently or with a partner.

Sophomores, today you will continue to work on your essaying comparing the themes of “The Bass, the River, and Sheila Mant” and “Catch the Moon.”  Like I just stated in the paragraph above directed to the freshmen, this paper will serve as an assessment for you to prove that you understand how to compare themes.  Please remember to work collaboratively if you are working with a partner.  Also, ask for help if you need it. 

Have a good day everyone!  

---------------------------------
Warm-Up
Periods 2-3:
Academic Vocabulary: Perceive
-You know what to do.  Ms. Raquel will check your cards from your blogs.

Periods 4-5:
Grammar Arcade: Subject-Verb Agreement
-Form

Classwork:
Periods 2-3:
"Cranes" Theme Graphic Organizer
-Form

Periods 4-5:
"The Bass, the River, and Sheila Mant" and "Catch the Moon" Theme Comparison Essays First Draft
-Form

Homework:
Periods 2-3:

"The Sniper" and "Cranes" Theme Comparison Essay Outline
-Form

Periods 4-5:
"The Bass, the River, and Sheila Mant" and "Catch the Moon" Theme Comparison Essays Finish First Draft
-Form
 (My kids, I just checked the form and it seems that many of you are struggling to complete the first draft of you paper.  So, I just changed tonight's assignment.  Instead of creating a second draft, please just make sure your first draft is completed by tomorrow.  I will adjust the points, so the first draft will now be worth a homework and classwork assignment.  Please email me if you need help.  I'll be on my laptop for most of the evening.)

No comments: